Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What to eat when you're too sick to eat

I'm having some very weird symptoms lately....weird for me anyway: severe acid reflux, nausea, and food aversion.

Food aversion is actually fairly common for people with Lyme disease, from what I hear. And of course nausea/loss of appetite is a problem that many chronically ill people deal with on a regular basis.

This will be GREAT for weight loss, of course, but the problem is that I have a lot of medication to take and much of it needs to be taken with food. One antibiotic, Mepron, is supposed to be taken after a fatty meal (approximately 20 grams of fat per tsp of Mepron enhances absorption of the medicine)! Fatty food sounds so revolting to me right now!! So what to do?

Several kind people suggested making smoothies and sipping them slowly, and one person actually gave me her recipe, so I will share it with you, in case anyone else besides me is having this problem with food aversion....

Ann Marie's Berry Smoothie

Ingredients:

1/4 C Greek-style yogurt, plain (I use Trader Joe's)
1/4 C almond flour or almond meal (make sure it's certified gluten free!)
frozen/fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries - nothing too sweet)
a dash of aloe juice to soothe the stomach
a dash of water with lime

Directions:

Whip everything up in your blender or magic bullet, and voila!

According to the nutrition info, there should be exactly 20 grams of fat in this, and I can assure you that it does not seem fatty when it's going down. Yay for almond meal!

I have to stay on a fairly low carb diet now (just found out that I'm pre-diabetic, oh joy!). The nice thing about this smoothie is that the carb content is not bad (< 10 grams?) and if it needs to be sweeter I can add a trace of stevia without adding to the carbs.

No comments: