Monday, December 15, 2008

Reality check

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that ALL of my symptoms haven't magically disappeared in the nearly two weeks that I've been gluten free. I haven't popped up out of my wheelchair and walked a mile or two. In fact, some of the symptoms that initially were gone have returned (they aren't as bad as they used to be, though), such as the vertigo and headaches....I'm still experiencing these occasionally now.

I know that I have to be realistic, that it takes time to heal, and the time it takes is an individual thing. Others have posted their experiences, and although some have been MUCH better in a matter of weeks, many seem to take months or even years to see really significant changes in the way they feel. It's even possible to feel worse for a while after going gluten free, because you're going through a "withdrawal" period....gluten can act like a drug to some people.

Patience is not one of my primary personality characteristics, but I'm in this for the long haul, so I have to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, so to speak. Whatever happens, happens!

I've thought a little bit about how I will feel if I don't end up entirely and completely well, even after a couple years on the diet. What if I still need a wheelchair at that point? But I've realized that any improvement in my health will be enough to keep me going. And I'm already experiencing some improvement, particularly in my energy levels and my neurological and gastric symptoms. So I really shouldn't complain, but rather count my blessings!

No comments: