Monday, January 18, 2010

Margarita Chicken Tonight

I haven't been posting menus for a long time....but here's what's for dinner tonight. It's based on a recipe from Stephanie, of course. I altered it slightly to fit my tastes and what I have in the pantry:

Margarita Chicken

Ingredients:

1/4 C Dijon mustard
1/4 C agave nectar
1 tsp celtic sea salt
1 tsp Lawry's seasoned pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
2 T onion flakes
1 T gluten free soy sauce or Tamari sauce
3 T margarita mix (I used Baja Bob's sugar free)
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I actually used frozen breasts)

Directions:

Put chicken in Crockpot. Mix together all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Cooking frozen chicken may take longer, and it may be advisable to add a little more liquid if you're using breasts instead of thighs (I poured about 1/4 C extra Baja Bob's Margarita Mix over the breasts just to be sure, but you could use white wine or water if you don't want the Margarita flavor to dominate so much). Serve over rice, if desired. If trying to eat grain free, serve with cauliflower "rice". Enjoy!

P.S. This came out great, but I think next time I would double the sauce ingredients if using chicken breasts instead of thighs. These particular frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts were probably about twice the size of the average thigh, so doubling the amount of sauce would make sense.

No comments: