Monday, January 17, 2011

A Product Review plus a MENU PLAN!


The yummy-looking pie in the picture above is a cherry pie I made for Christmas using the Gluten Free Pantry's Perfect Pie Crust mix. 


I've fallen in love with that pie crust mix and wanted to share my experiences with you....no, it's not grain free, just gluten free, but the crust comes out amazingly tender and flaky!  I rarely make pie in any case, usually only on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it has been difficult to find a good gluten free pastry recipe.  This mix does the job and makes a WONDERFUL crust.

I should tell you that I'm still striving to be grain free as much as possible.  I don't manage to be grain free for every meal, but I'm doing better, and have lost close to 20 pounds in the past few months, although I just managed to "hold steady" over the holidays.

I've been in a lot of pain lately from a new condition called erythromelalgia that mostly affects my feet.  The best way to keep it under control is to elevate my feet and keep them cool, but I find it difficult to cook with my feet elevated, LOL!

I realize it's been a very long time since I put out a menu plan...a very long time.  But I decided to do one this week!   Once again I should explain that for me, this is a tentative plan.  It has to be flexible because I just don't know how I will be feeling from day to day.  Those of you with chronic illnesses will understand what I mean!

Monday: Chili (served over rice or corn chips for those who are not grain free), green salad

Tuesday: Risotto with shrimp and mushrooms, steamed broccoli

Wednesday: Crockpot Pomegranate Beef, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots

Thursday: Baked potatoes with choice of toppings (namely, leftovers from Monday or Wednesday!), green salad

Friday:  Crockpot Thai Chicken, rice (I use cauliflower rice for grain-free/low carb "rice")

Saturday: Salmon patties, quinoa pilaf with mushrooms, green beans sauteed with red bell peppers

Sunday: Gluten free pasta with gluten free marinara sauce plus Aidell's gluten free meatballs (I use spaghetti squash as my grain free pasta), green salad

No comments: