Friday, October 9, 2009

Fabulous Gluten Free, Grain Free Pizza!


I'm still exploring the low-carb/grain free diet (which is a lot more restrictive than the gluten free diet!). I fully intend to start posting my menu plans again very soon, but since DH and I are in the process of transitioning to the grain free lifestyle, I haven't been terribly organized....yet. :)

Anyway, the other day I ran across a great recipe for pizza crust that used just cheese, eggs, coconut flour, flax meal, and baking powder! Of course, this will not work for those of you who are casein free, unless rice cheese or some other substitute can be used in the crust.

Here are a few pictures I took as I assembled the pizza:


First sauce and parmesan on the baked crust....next mozzerella, veggies, chicken meatballs, and pepperoni.


This last picture was taken after the pizza was completely cooked and ready to serve; it shows a cross-section of the crust (easiest to see if you blow it up by clicking on the image) so that you can see what the texture is like.


Bottom line: this is the BEST!!! My husband told me the first time I made it that it was the best pizza I had ever made.....and he is a true pizza fanatic!

Grain free pizza crust
(based on the recipe from the Tropical Traditions website):

Ingredients:

4 cups whole milk organic mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 large organic eggs
1/4 C flax meal
1/4 C coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut 1 piece of parchment paper out for baking sheet.

Mix cheese, eggs, flax, coconut flour, and baking powder together until a sticky wet dough is formed. Spread with a spatula to 1/4 inch thickness on a baking sheet lined with one piece of parchment paper.

Bake for 22 minutes in preheated oven.

Remove from oven. Top with sauce, pre-cooked veggies or meats, and cheese. Return to oven for approximately 5 minutes to bake at 350, then put crust with toppings under the broiler on high for a minute (or less) until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve.

Notes on the changes I made: the original recipe served 2-4 (about one medium round pizza). I doubled the recipe to make a rectangular pizza in my 15 x 10 jelly roll pan so we would have plenty of leftovers. The original recipe calls for turning over the pizza crust half way through the baking process; I didn't find that to be necessary. The original recipe said to bake for 30 minutes total....my crust was too brown by 25 minutes the first time I tried it.

ENJOY!!

No comments: