Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Links to other Thanksgiving menus and recipes

I've been getting some comments from readers with links to more recipes....thanks for those, I always love to read other people's recipes!

Just so you know....I do actually have LOTS of recipes! :)

I used to do an incredible amount of work during the holidays, back in the days before the wheelchair. I invited everyone over, and I did all the cooking.

For Thanksgiving I usually started cooking 3 days in advance, made my own whole wheat bread and cut it into cubes and dried them for the stuffing, then made pumpkin pie, cherry pie, apple pie...well you get the idea.

On Thanksgiving day I got up at 4am and cooked all day long: turkey and stuffing and homemade gravy, broccoli-cheese casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, mushrooms parmesan, homemade rolls and cranberry relish. I made everything from scratch.

Then on Christmas Day I would do Thanksgiving all over again, except that I also made homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast! I used to make Christmas gifts for all my friends: homemade stollen or cookies or gingerbread.

It's so hard for me to believe now that I was able to do all of that!

I know that my adult kids miss the big feasts, but my theme now is "simplify". Fibromyalgia and rhupus and autoimmune hepatitis and everything else make it so that I have to conserve my energy, not spend it recklessly.

I realize that my Thanksgiving recipes leave something to be desired this year....yes, they are very simple, super basic. But that's just because I need simple this year due to my health issues. For those of you who feel great and have TONS of energy and a desire to cook like maniacs, here are links to some fabulous gluten free recipes (some are even dairy free and/or grain free!):

Karina's Thanksgiving Recipes

Elana's Thanksgiving Recipes

Erica's Thanksgiving Recipes

Stephanie's Thanksgiving Recipes

Celiac.com Recipes and Thanksgiving Menus

My Very First Gluten Free Thanksgiving (2008)
(my suggestion is to substitute arrowroot or sweet rice flour for the thickeners I used....I made this meal only 3 days after I went gluten free, so I didn't know about other flours and used regular brown rice flour for pretty much everything!)

I hope that all of you have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

P.S. Take a look at some of the blog links in my side bar for even more links to Thanksgiving recipes!

No comments: