Friday, August 7, 2009

OMG!

I stepped on the scales for the first time in over two weeks, expecting to be upset by either a gain or (at the very least) staying basically the same. Instead the scale registered a six-pound loss!!

Wahoo!! :)

Ok, so why exactly have I lost weight? That is, what have I been doing differently?

Mainly I've been concentrating on protein foods/fruits/veggies for breakfast and lunch. I frequently eat cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast (a low carb fruit like berries). And I eat leftover proteins from dinner for lunch (leftover pesto chicken is great for lunch!). Salads are a good choice too!

Dinners have not been low carb in general, but apparently that's OK! I seem to be following the low carb diet made popular by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller, who wrote the book called "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet". The premise is that as long as you eat low carb for most of the day, you can have one hour per day during which you can eat "normal food"....in other words, pasta, pizza, even dessert. Of course, they suggest that you make the meal that you eat during this time a balanced one, with protein, starch, veggies, etc.

Frankly, I never thought this approach would work....I've always been more of an Atkins dieter myself. Now that's a REAL low carb diet!

I may end up on Atkins again eventually (when this stops working), but for now I'm enjoying having some carbs with dinner!

No comments: