Friday, August 7, 2009

P.S.

Because of my previous post, I should probably explain why I expected to be gaining weight (or at least not losing).

As you may know, I started this blog to record my journey through the land of gluten free foods after finding out in 2008 that I have the following autoimmune disorders: rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune hepatitis, and celiac disease. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia at the same time, which may or may not be an autoimmune disease itself, but is frequently associated with AI diseases.

This is in addition to the AI diseases that I already knew I had: asthma, psoriasis, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Then I found out a few weeks ago that I've now developed Sjogren's Syndrome. Another AI disease!!

Well, as the links near the top will tell you (under FAQ), celiac disease apparently causes many people to develop other autoimmune diseases. Since I have celiac disease, it's not surprising I have other AI diseases. I'm on a gluten free diet in hopes that all of them will improve.

Some people have reported that their RA and fibro have gone into remission on a gf diet.

So, because of all of these nasty health issues, I'm currently on about a BAZILLION medications, and at least two of them (probably more) are known to cause weight gain: prednisone and Lyrica. The prednisone has already helped me gain more than 50 pounds in the past year! :(

My prednisone dosage was recently raised, and I started to take Lyrica about a month ago. I was warned by the doctor that it would probably cause me to gain weight.

Consequently, I am so relieved to see even the small weight loss reported in my previous post! I'm sure you understand!!

No comments: