Monday, December 1, 2008

Another day gluten free

Yesterday (Sunday) was tough. The headache I woke up with evolved into the Mother of all migraines and my fibromyalgia was very bad for most of the day. I'm now certain that this was due to my accidental glutening that occurred Saturday night. I did manage to avoid gluten though, and this morning I feel better.

I made a couple of recipes that I want to share; one is a breakfast quiche....a family favorite that I've adapted to be gluten free, the other is a naturally gluten free white chili, which can be made dairy free as well, if desired (chili recipe may be found on Sandra's blog, scroll down to September 15, 2008).

Breakfast Quiche
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
10 eggs
1/2 cup Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
1 lb cottage cheese
1 lb jack cheese, shredded

Melt butter. Whip eggs until fluffy, add flour, baking powder, salt, cottage cheese, butter, & half of shredded jack cheese. Put in 9x13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 400 for 15 min, then lower temp to 350 and bake for 20-30 more min (until lightly browned on top). NOTE: be careful to verify that the cottage cheese and non-stick spray are both gluten free!



Popular additions/substitutions for the quiche: 1 lb diced cooked gluten free breakfast sausage or bratwurst, 4 oz can diced green chilis, bell peppers, onions or dried onion flakes, cheddar cheese or mixed cheddar/jack instead of jack cheese...use your imagination! BTW, this is my SIL's recipe; I think that a whole stick of butter is a bit much, especially with all of the eggs and cheese in there, so I've used 1/2 a stick successfully.

Creamy White Chicken Chili (picture only, see links above for recipe)

NOTE: the picture of the chili below is BEFORE adding any dairy products; it can be eaten this way, which is much lower in fat and calories. But the additions of the sour cream and heavy cream do make it a real comfort food! :)

No comments: