Thursday, January 15, 2009

By the way...regarding crumbs

DH and I have finally managed to get rid of old pots, pans, plastic containers, the toaster, wooden spoons, etc., plus most of the remaining gluten-containing food.

Since our adopted babies, Matthew and Emma, are really my biological grandchildren, they have a chance of having problems with gluten because I have celiac disease and their cousin Carly (my other granddaughter) has celiac disease. But I just found out recently that the kids biological father, Marcus, may have gluten issues himself, and that his brother had MS and celiac disease! The babies have the double whammy (celiacs on both sides of the family)!

Emma has the HLA DQ2 gene, so she definitely has a chance of developing issues with gluten. Both she and Matthew have skin problems, specifically eczema and keratosis pilaris, which can be associated with celiac disease.

Also DH has just been diagnosed with psoriasis, which is an autoimmune disease, so he should probably avoid gluten, too.

So I've decided that the WHOLE FAMILY will be gluten free from now on! We went to Whole Foods and bought gluten free crackers and chicken nuggets, and since I've now started making gluten free bread I think we're all set!

Therefore, when I encounter crumbs on the table, I'm no longer worried that they might gluten me! :)

No comments: