Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recent culinary successes

Once again, I've managed to stick to my menu plan! Amazing! :)

I thought I would report on the Crockpot Indian Curry we had on Thursday and post a picture. This is the second time I've used this recipe (I LOVE curry!); it's definitely a keeper! Everyone in the family ate it, even two-and-a-half-year-old Emma, who is notorious for refusing to eat anything "out of the ordinary". Her big brother Matthew (one year older) ate a good-sized helping and asked for more.


My only deviation from the Stephanie-Rachel Ray recipe was to add 1/3 C cornstarch + 1/4 C sugar dissolved in 2/3 C apple juice at the end, just to add a little sweetness and make the sauce thicker and smoother. After adding the juice mixture, stir gently and let it cook on high for 20 minutes to thicken. Next time I will probably omit the sugar; the apple juice is sweet enough.

Yesterday morning I tried a recipe from Karina's Kitchen: Banana-Blueberry Muffin Cake. Except that I made muffins instead of cake.



They were scrumptious! (I just had two more for breakfast!) The recipe made 20 muffins; I baked them at 350 degrees for nearly 20 minutes. One note: I didn't have any buckwheat flour so I substituted superfine brown rice flour instead. This is definitely a great way to use up any over-ripe bananas you may have in your kitchen!

No comments: