Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Post of 2009: Recently-tried Gluten Free Recipes

Besides the leftovers from Christmas (Christmas Eve dinner consisted of Chicken Enchiladas Verdes and Christmas Day dinner was HoneyBaked Ham and Turkey plus lots of nice side dishes), I tried a crockpot recipe this week from the Crockpot Lady, Stephanie. Actually, this recipe was given to her by Rachel Ray when she appeared on Rachel's show last summer....in any case, it's Crockpot Chicken Curry (Indian style) and boy was it good! I served it over brown rice. Check out the link to get the recipe and see a picture.

I love Stephanie's blog because all of the recipes are gluten free (one of her daughters has celiac disease).

The only modifications I made were (1) I used more chicken than she did and used chicken breast meat instead of thigh meat, and (2) I added 2/3 C of apple juice mixed with 1/3 C cornstarch and 2 T sugar at the very end to thicken and sweeten the sauce just a tad. It made a LOT of food, so we've been working on the leftovers for days now!

I've also tried two more gluten-free recipes that are now among my absolute FAVORITES: one is a recipe for bread, and this turns out SO much like "real" bread it's amazing, and the other is a recipe for gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that is also very hard to distinguish from the regular Toll House recipe.

Well, I won't be using those for myself and DH, because we will be trying to be low carb, but for the kids I do need to make bread from time to time, so I'm glad that I found a good recipe.

In any case, a Happy and Healthy New Year to All!

2 comments:

RissaRoo said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try that curry recipe. I love curry!

JoAnn said...

Thanks Erica!

I love any kind of curry also...we just started a low carb diet but I'm still going to try to figure out ways to incorporate curry flavorings into our meals. It shouldn't be too hard as long as I avoid rice and starchy veggies.

JoAnn